On this page we have gathered together links to try to provide a quick reference to some of the most useful web sites. The links will open in a new window. Please suggest further links that might be added here.
Tides and Weather
- Solent Weather Forecast – the coastal weather forecast from BBC South for the Solent area (includes air pressure)
- Southampton Tide Table – from the National Tides and Sea Level Facility provides tide tables for the coming 28 days and together with a diagram showing the next 7 days tides.
- Portsmouth Surge Forecast – gives an estimate of whether the tide will be higher or lower than forecast in the tide table based on the weather forecast for the next day or two – use the value at high tide (circled on graph)
- Met Office Surface Pressure Charts – if you understand them, these show how the weather is expected to vary over the next few days
- xcweather – if you prefer a tabulated weather forecast rather than a chart, this site gives forecasts which include atmospheric pressure for the next week
Living by the River
- St Denys Community Centre – is situated close to the Public Hard. The web site has an up to date programme of activities and tweets about whats happening locally!
- Bitterne Park Info – community news for Bitterne Park and nearby areas – describing what’s happening now, this site has been operating since 2005
- Friends of Riverside Park – helping to support and maintain the park which makes our section of the river so attractive
- St Denys Sailing and Rowing Club – a feature of the river since 1889!
- Woodmill Outdoor Activities Centre – courses on canoeing and kayaking on the river plus other activities
- Southampton University Watersports – the water sports centre is at Swaythling on the River Itchen
- Southampton Canoe Club – is based at the Woodmill Activities Centre
- The Environment Agency – responsible for flood warnings and risk mitigation
- Southampton City Council – web pages on Flooding issues for Southampton
- National Flood Forum – a national charity dedicated to supporting and representing communities and individuals at risk of flooding
- Southern Water – responsible for drainage and sewage management for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (see also our “Report Flooding” page)
- Solent Forum – helped implementation of the CCATCH project in the Southampton/West Itchen area